Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 months ago

Do I sound spoiled?

I won't say my age, but I'm the youngest out of 3 siblings. They're all moved out of the house and I'm the only child left that's living at home. A lot of times I get what I want by begging my parents. My dad hates spending money and is more into saving it. Sometimes I have to keep begging and begging until finally he gives in. I have to beg really hard if I want fast food. A month ago I wanted to go on a trip to see my friend. I begged my dad until he got mad and he finally gave into buying me a plane ticket. My parents pay for almost everything. They pay for my car insurance, my gas (if I don't have money to buy my own gas), my phone bill, my dentist bills, etc. I would say I get what I want 75% of the time. But there is times when my dad and mom say no. But if I want it bad enough and I beg them for hours, sometimes they give in.

• ?

Yep, a spoiled brat

I would throw you out. Like it or not your a brat.

I think you know the answer to your own question, so why ask? 

I'm sorry to hear your parents have not done their primary job: 

To teach you how to make good decisions and take responsibility for your own life. 

To get out of that trap, you might want to picture where you want to be in 5 years, and plot a course to get there that doesn't include being a USER. 

Lord, spoiled isn't the word for this---rotten is. 

I see failure in your future.

• Judy

honestly, yes you do.  Some of it is fairly common if you're still in school full time.  Begging for hours is something a five year old does.

Yes, you’re extremely spoiled and bratty. Why don’t you get a job instead of begging your dad for money? If you’re in school, it’s normal for parents to support their kids, but if you’re not in school, you should be working. And your behavior is obnoxious. You’re obviously over 16, and I’m guessing you’re at least 18. Begging and whining for hours to get money from your parents is really childish and annoying. You should grow up and stop acting like a 6 year old. 

• n2mama

Yes. Assuming you are over the age of 18, you should have a level of independence that you clearly don’t have. And your parents are stupid fools for indulging your bad habits-letting you learn that begging/nagging is the way to get what you want if you just pester enough is a horrible life lesson to teach a child. They would have done you a lot more good for future life success if they made you work to earn things you want.

I’m going to guess you are a female in your early 20s and expect this to work in your romantic relationships too.

Yes, definitely. There is nothing wrong with parents helping out their kids financially, but they need to set limits and require you to look after yourself. It sounds more like they are responding in a reactionary way rather than helping you to plan. 

This is not bad, but you kind of have to get some control over your own independence. 

• Lili

No.  Spoiled people don't have to beg at all. Their parents give them everything they want without argument.

The things your parents pay for are what MOST parents pay for, when a child is still a minor or living at home because he or she is attending college. Some parents would expect the child to pay for car insurance and gas, though not if the child were in school and didn't have a job.