Why are video games and whatever so sexist?

This is the role for men and women in video games, the men are the hero and the women are the captured love interests.  It really bothers me to see the fact they have to mostly put the guys first while the women are second in command.  These are examples:

Kingdom Hearts-Sora is the one while Kiari is his love interest, it's time for her to be the hero.

Last Of Us-Joel and his bro are the ones while Sarah is Joel's daughter.

Star Fox-Fox Mccloud is the main character but Krystal, Amanda, Lucy and Katt are way more likeable characters than him but yet it's called Star Fox, it should be called Krystal.

Altered Beast-The werewolf is the hero while the princess is kidnapped by vampires

Call Of Duty-A man is always the main character and only the recent ones have women on his team, the men actually outnumber the women, very sexist!

In the early 2010s there was a rise in girl-heroes where they were more of a warrior and none of a captive, but recently they're going back to having the man saving the lady thing again!  Why!?  I'm a guy and I even did a TMNT crossover fan film where we see more female heroes than male ones including most X-Men being teen girls and Batman being a woman.  Also Tv and Movies are going back to sexism too starting with Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, Spidey Far From Home and especially horror/vampire movies/tv shows where women have to be saved by a heroic guy.  I'm saying guys are not always going to be the hero, women need heroisim too.

In JW 2 that little girl has to be saved by Owen instead of KICKING THAT MONSTER'S BUTT!!!!

London annoymous=You're British right?  Then why do I see the s word?  Their version is shite, then you're not British.  You're an English culture crazed American/Australian.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

this isn't true for every game and there are many examples of a game with a female lead kicking butt, bayonetta comes to mind. but video games are a form of media just like television and movies, so they're bound to reflect the culture theyre made in and the preconceptions of the writers. even games made by women can have some stereotypical female portrayal simply because we grew up with that kind of storytelling, even in "girls media" and it can be hard to break. i personally don't mind damsels in distress because i have been one. i often need other people to help me so a character like princess peach needing to be rescued is a relatable experience.

and you also need to keep in mind that many popular games are japanese and japan does not have the same wave of feminism that the us and europe do. many people in japan are still set in their ways of the ideal woman being quiet, meek, and caring with long, black hair

so all together, i'd say to enjoy classics with a critical eye and try to support games that break these stereotypes. the indie game scene is the most diverse when it comes to the sorts of characters you play as and that are involved in the story since they don't have to conform to what the publishers think will interest the most people

Throughout the history of video games, there's been this idea that the target audience is boys/young men (specifically white boys/young men). So games are designed for them and marketed to them. Tons of girls/women (and people who aren't white) play games, but the industry is still dominated by (mostly white) men who develop and publish games. So we get those kinds of games. 

The games I played around 2010 were a lot of dudes - Red Dead Redemption, BioShock series, inFAMOUS, Dishonored, Thief, Witcher, etc. 

You mention the Last of Us, but the more recent Last of Us 2 has female protagonists. Many games have the option of playing female characters - such as Fornite, Overwatch, Borderlands, Skyrim, Fallout, Dishonored 2, Animal Crossing, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Valhalla - and several games have female protagonists - such as Horizon Zero Dawn, Hellblade, Death of the Outsider, Control, Resident Evil, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Beyond Two Souls, What Remains of Edith Finch, Flipping Death. Most HOPAs (hidden object puzzle games) have female protagonists who are detectives, police officers, adventurers, etc. 

But yeah, I'm a woman and I like playing as a woman whenever I can, which is why I tend to stick to games like Skyrim or Fallout where I can create my own character. The upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 will be like that, too. 

I really hate how the whole damn heroic man saving the damsel in distress thing is making a ******* comeback, like in Werewolf The Apocalypse Earthblood this also happens and also in Wraith The Awakening.  I already MISS female heroes!  And why the bloody hell did you make Batman a woman in your fan film!?  He's a guy, ********!  Sure you want female heroes but you can't be too sexist or it all goes to s***.

Why the hell did it censor butt-clown and a version of crap but not hell or damn?

Source(s): London, England. Everyone here is a sexist rubbish!