Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

If a teenager earns his yellow belt, but still gets bullied and grows up to be a coward, is he a yellow belt only on a technicality?

It is also ironic, a yellow belted coward.

• Cogito

Having a yellow belt is totally unrelated to a person's bravery or cowardice.  

Martial arts like karate and judo are sports - they are for fun.  They're not indicative of whether or not someone gets bullied or is afraid.

Beating people up are not part of having any belt.

• Lisa

The different forms of karate do not use the various belt colors consistently.  Most forms use white for a beginner and black for a very advanced practitioner.  In many (but not all) cases, a yellow belt indicates that someone has begun to progress beyond the beginner stage but really has not gotten very far.  My karate teacher once told me that he knew practitioners with white belts who could protect themselves to some degree and practitioners with black belts who could not.  There is not a complete correlation between belt color and actual fighting ability in most forms of karate.  This is because, when one is tested, it is often the ability to perform certain moves that gets demonstrated.  The moves are not necessarily performed in a fight situation.

So, in the situation you mention, the teenager may have earned his yellow belt in the usual fashion.  It was not on a technicality.  He really did do what he was supposed to do.  It was simply that he had not yet learned to translate the skills he knew into a non-dojo environment where someone was really fighting back.

Hope this helps.

I have no idea, but I know it's unrelated to Books & Authors. Consider moving it to Sports > Martial Arts.

My understanding is that the various karate belts are related to skills in karate, not what kind of person the belt-holder is.