Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

Developing an Eating Disorder?

Lately I've been skipping meals unintentionally and even though my stomach is rumbling, I don't get up to eat even though I know I should. I'm not sure if it is me just being lazy or something else. Also, I feel extremely self cautious and uncomfortable whenever anyone sees me get food. I only like to cook or eat when nobody is around. I was overweight when I was younger and my family except my mom teased me about it so the only person I feel okay with seeing me eat is my mom. But whenever we eat out I don't feel uncomfortable with people seeing me eating. Me unintentional not eating started around when the pandemic started but me being uncomfortable eating at home when people see me has been happening for years now.  

Being afraid of eating in public isn't that uncommon, but you should try to make yourself feel less self conscious and figure out why you might not like eating in front of others.  This can lead to an eating disorder, but often doesn't.  

It's important to look after yourself during these crazy times and treat yourself well.  If you're too busy working on something and don't want to get up and get food, then that's different from letting yourself starve on purpose.  But do try to eat though!  You don't want to start to feel light headed; your brain needs food to function.  You do mention that you don't get up to eat even though you know you should.  This is a bit worrying to me (I've struggled with food myself).  I'm glad you know that you should eat, but the fact that you're ignoring your hunger could lead to an eating disorder.  

What helps me is finding time to plan out my meals and eating food high in protein, so I'm not hungry and snacking all the time.  It's not bad to snack here and there, though.  Try to create a schedule where you get outside and exercise, while eating healthy meals and giving yourself treats you deserve.  Don't just exercise to burn the calories (I'm guilty of this, too), but do it because it makes you feel good.  

Skipping meals in this period has become fairly common, as the quarantines and lockdown break the daily routines of many people, including mealtime. Some people also feel uncomfortable eating around others, it doesn't have to be an eating disorder. If it starts affecting you negatively such as losing weight, low energy, bad self image. Then it could be a developing eating/body disorder.  

• kelvin

sorry but you are way past that and need therapy