Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

How long should it take to read an 800 page book?

It took me 2 months. But a friend said they read all the hunger games books in a week and thats like 1800 pages.

• Verity

It rather depends upon the content.

i'm a slow reader. 4 months but also because i skip days and come back to a book

• Marli

I would say "As long as it takes to understand the contents."

At least one wise person here said that there are many variables and has listed some of them.

Besides, reading is not a competitive sport or an endurance test. You read to learn or you read to enjoy a story.  Both learning and enjoyment take time and thought.

Savour the Flavour.

Don't let this bother you. Books of little interest go slower, as do books you read when you have spare time that isn't always available.

Everybody's reading speed is going to be different. I would also take two months to read 800 pages. 

• Andrew

Obviously you and your friend are on opposite ends of the spectrum here. To complete 1,800 pages in a week one would have to put away roughly 260 pages per day. It took you 8 weeks to get through 800 pages. That works out to fewer than 15 pages per day. It goes without saying that the average person would be somewhere in the middle. Your friend put away about twenty times as many pages per day as you did. But not everyone has the freedom to devote 4 or 5 solid hours to reading every day. I think it's fair to say that most people would be able to spare an hour, and everyone could find 30 minutes. Looking at it that way, it would probably take the average person around 2 weeks to complete an 800 page book, and might take a slow reader a month. For an 1,800 page series, average would probably be about a month and a slow reader would likely need 2 months. 

• Lisa

There are a lot of variables with this sort of question.  

1) Is the reader going to school full-time or working full-time or raising small children?  If so, there is less time to read.

2) Does the reader even enjoy reading or enjoy reading this particular book?  The more one enjoys what one is reading, the faster it tends to go.  

3) What is the size print on the page?  Obviously, the smaller the print, the more words there are, and then the longer it will take.  

4) What is the level of difficulty of the book?  For most of us, a book about physics takes longer to read than a light novel.

5) What is one's energy level?  People with high energy tend to need to move around more and may have trouble sitting still for hours at a time to read.  People with low energy may fall asleep easily and also may not be able to read for hours at a time.

6) Some readers are more thoughtful than others.  They stop frequently to think about what they read and, sometimes, to talk to others about it.  Other readers speed through a book with no reflection at all.

Ultimately, all readers are different, and reading is not a contest.  There are no rules about how fast or slow one should read, especially if one is reading for pleasure.  

Enjoy your future reading!

Depends how fast and how often one reads. Duhhh.

It depends how much time you spend reading. If I’m really bored, or really into my book, I can read 800 pages in a few days. When I was in jail, I averaged one book every day or two (normal sized books). When I was a teenager, I read the Harry Potter books within a couple days of being released.

Some people read every word at the speed that it would have been spoken.  Some people take in a whole sentence at once.  I am a slower reader but I would prefer to read to the end of the story at one time even it it is 24 hours straight.