?
Lv 7
? asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Why is a 'narcissistic' personality so called?

The word appears related to Narcissus - which is the name of a pretty spring flower [aka daffodil] which are widely grown in gardens here in GB, there are various varieties, and it is possible to have them in bloom from late February to early May.

Still, the Q is 'what is the connection between this rather unpleasant personality, and a spring flower?'   

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Here is the back story. I found the following when I googled 'god Narcissus'

Narcissus, in Greek mythology, the son of the river god Cephissus and the nymph Liriope. ... He was distinguished for his beauty. According to Ovid's Metamorphoses, Book III, Narcissus's mother was told by the blind seer Tiresias that he would have a long life, provided he never recognized himself.

Here is a little more information regarding the connection,

Narcissus was beautiful. One of the most beautiful of the Greek gods, but he had no idea, and he was never supposed to see himself or he would die. He happened to look down at his reflection in the water and fell in love with his own beauty, and was so in love that he never moved from the spot on the riverbank until he died there. He was transformed into the flower, and the flower was named the 'Narcissus'. That is why you can see a Narcissus growing close to a watery area, and why the flower looks like it is looking down toward the ground; that is meant to be the spirit of the god still looking down at his reflection. 

• 2 months ago

Narcissus was turned into a flower (a flower? a flower!) (if you have any knowledge of the band Genesis and the song "Supper'S Ready", a real classic, you will recognize my reference).

Narcissus was a person (a being?) of Greek Myth that so loved himself that he stared at his own reflection in the surface of the water of a lake.  His punishment, I guess you would call it, was to be permanently fixed in place as the flower.

• 2 months ago

please review your Greek mythology -- that's where the name comes from

• 2 months ago

Some say that the reason why daffodils are called "narcissusis" that they live and die on the banks of rivers. Like where the Greek hunter Narcissus is said to have died, when he accidentally saw his all-too-beautiful reflection in the water. Look up the story.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.