How to know if there are studs in 2" thick walls or what kind of wall it is for mount a TV on it?

I live in a rental apartment building in Toronto Canada with 2" thick room walls and I wonder if I can attach on this wall a 54 lb TV with a TV wall mount that is 35 lb and can extend 28" from the wall.

Favorite Answer

ask your management company BEFORE doing this.  you can try to find studs inside the walls -- i'd start with a simple magnet in case the studs are steel ... and you'll want to know what you're drilling into in order to get the right screws. -- grampa

Thank you all for your answers I really appreciate all answers and find them helpful.

I asked the management and they said the 2" thick room walls have no studs, they are all plaster hold with a metal net like chicken wire in the middle and metal edges at the end of the walls. There is a 72" x 24" kitchen cabinet full of dishes and kitchen stuff mounted on this kind of wall without any support under it so, its strong enough to hold this but I won't risk mounting the TV directly on it and probably will use a stand.

One relative told me if I glue a piece of wood on the wall with LePage PL PREMIUM MAX adhesive it will be strong enough to hold the TV if I attach the TV wall mount on it but I find it hard to believe glue can be that strong.

because it is a rental property you cannot drill any holes in any walls 

There is a simple (9-volt battery operated) mini-depth meter called a stud finder. Easy to calibrate, then run in across the wall. After getting permission run a board* parallel to the floor at the appropriate height which is over 6 ft long and anchor that board to each stud underneath it so that more of the wall structure is holding up the TV (instead of just 2 studs). *Varnish a beautiful piece of oak or other wood to aid your decor.

• GF

Pull the baseboard off. Locate the studs and make a hole below the baseboard height so you can see what's in the walls. Then you can determine what you need to fasten the TV to the wall 

If your walls are only 2" thick, then they aren't really walls. They are partitions or dividers. Can't guess what might be inside them or if mounting anything on them is possible. No genuine wall built in Toronto in the last 100 years is going to be only 2" thick.

• gerald

Stud walls are 3 by 2 or 4 by 2 with 18" centres to fix dry wall to  you can tap the measure from one side 18" and see if one is there or if not it will be 18" from the other corner if it is thin it will not carry a TV 

I can't believe that any rental agreement would allow you to mount a television on the wall of a rental unit.

Without seeing it, this is only a guess: two inch thick partitions are usually something that used to be called paramount board and that doesn't have studwork except at joints in the panels - it is more like two layers of plasterboard/drywall and a paper cell core like hollow doors - and they are not very substantial. A stud detector should confirm if there is anything there. If in doubt build a sturdy floor to ceiling mdf panel/framework to mount the tv on and secure it top and bottom, or simpler, stand it on a credenza, or spanning between two full height bookcases (eg Billy, Ikea), secured to prevent tipping.