?
? asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

How to not restrict food during the holidays (especially after Thanksgiving)?

My parents know about my recent struggles with food that started 3 months ago, and they've been really supportive.  Growing up I was pretty skinny and on the taller side, but I thought my stomach was too big even though it wasn't.  After puberty, I gained some weight, which everyone said was healthy and normal.  I still had a very healthy BMI, but I was just dissatisfied with how I looked, so I lost 10 pounds, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I started to look worse especially as I headed to lose 5 more pounds.  I was counting calories and over-exercising.  I finally told my parents before it got really bad and they were able to get me back on the right track.  Now, I've gotten a more healthy attitude about food again, but I do still struggle sometimes.  My parents are always getting me to eat and enjoy food as a family.  We cook a lot of healthy meals, which is nice, and also eat lots of dessert.  

I'm scared to tell them that I'm worried about putting on weight during the Holidays.  I sort of want to deal with this myself.  I've been running 4 miles everyday and eating normal meals and allowing myself to have sweets here and there.  Yesterday at Thanksgiving I felt absolutely stuffed after dinner, and my first thought this morning was to restrict and skip breakfast.  But I didn't do that, and I fixed myself a healthy meal. I think that was the right step forward, but how can I change my mindset?  I get so stressed when I miss working out and have too much pie. Help!?

• Cammie
    Favorite Answer

Keep up with your exercise as long as you enjoy it. Don't push yourself over what you can do.

As for the food, remember that you are in control of what you eat.Have some of everything .If you want more, enjoy it.

After the holiday, start looking for a therapist.Eating disorders are usually emotional problems not food problems.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.I wish you the best.