Why do we hear the “hur dur earn it” spiel from ppl when life experience teaches me winners and losers are chosen?

And that hardworking driven ppl get strung along and outsmarted by bad ppl who use the next rung like a carrot but never deliver no matter how many burning hoops they make you jump through? 

While others get everything handed to them just for showing up?

• ?

I like carrots.

"life experience teaches me winners and losers are chosen"

Of course winners and losers are chosen.   Often they are chosen because they demonstrated their own merit.    Not always, but often.

It's absolutely true that not everyone starts at "Go".   Some people already collected their $200, Free Parking and Get Out Of Jail Free before they even roll the dice.   This means that some people have a lot more challenges to overcome than others. 

"And that hardworking driven ppl get strung along"    Hardworking and driven to do WHAT?     Just curious...what is your education level?   What are your job skills?   

Jumping through burning hoops is only helpful if you are willing to jump through the ones that get to someplace better on the other side.

• n2mama

I’m guessing this attitude of yours carries over and comes through loud and clear at work. And that’s why you don’t get things handed to you. Yes, certainly nepotism exists, but in most cases and most fields hard work is needed to move up and move along. Let’s talk about the burning hoop: both you and another coworker are to.d to jump through the hoop. Your coworker says “yes boss” and jumps through the hoop as quickly as they can. You say “well, I guess I could jump through that hoop, but why should I have to? I really don’t want to, I don’t understand why I need to. Are you sure that’s really necessary?” And then you finally, reluctantly, go through the hoop. Yes, you both got through the hoop, but the boss is going to remember the attitude and the person who said yes and just did it is going to be tapped a lot sooner for opportunities than the person who argued and debated and made it harder than it needed to be.

No question that some people have more advantages given to them, by genetics, by circumstance, by life. A person born to successful, wealthy parents is going to have more opportunities than someone born in the ghetto to a single parent just struggling to make ends meet. But that doesn’t mean the second person can’t find opportunities and work hard and make something better. Many athletes have stories like that, where they came from less than ideal environments and still managed to find success. But they worked hard for that success. The only people who don’t work hard for success are the ones who have a family business they can step into and make a living at regardless of performance.

• .

People who have already made it want others to be honorable and stand on their own two feet.  Everyone wants to believe in the magic (or meritocracy) in the world.

"Pull up the ladder boys, I'm aboard." 

• Maxi

What a load of nonsence!