Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Why did my 2016 Hyundai Elantra with 45k miles breakdown on the road?

2016 Elantra had the first major breakdown on the road at about 45000 miles --- I was surprised because that's really not much of a mileage or age either.

The engine stalled and lots of fluid fell on the road. Opened the hood and could see lot and lot of fluid falling.

Putting shifter on D and pressing gas pedal only produced loud noise but car won't move.

Black fluid kept flowing on the ground and it was a lot.

I don't know what that fluid leak was.

Car was towed to dealer 

All oil change and maintenance done regularly. 

What could have gone wrong and why?

Update:

I'm scared now because had this happened on highway, I could have died. 

I'm lucky it happened on a residential street with 25 mph limit. 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Your car has a 60,000 mile bumper to bumper, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. If you saw fluid falling it sounds like you have a serious cooling system leak. Have the car transported to a Hyundai Dealer

• garry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

i dont know , why has it been serviced , did a part break , is the alternator failed , yes can be one of 100 reasons why , we are geniuses , we can mind read to when it broke down ..thought of the word mechanic ...!!!!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Nah, on a highway or freeway you pull to the side of the road and put up the hood and wait for a TowTruck. Car broke down 4 some reason.

When it is leaking ALOT. you shut off the engine and put on the 4 way flashers TOO.  Other people who have their driver's license know not to hit a stationary vehicle

. (that is why they have a steering wheel)

You definitely would not have passed had you gone out and hit a car that was parked on the side of the road.  Examiners take off BIG POINTS if you did that.

Black fluid? or fluid on a black road at night?  

"Did you touch it? Smell it? Taste it?  Taste like dogshit? Good thing you no step in it."

Schit happens.  It is like running a race and a runner has a bad case of GAS and it blurts out as he goes past the crowd, gassing many people.  It came out when it came out. The black gas of death.   Why?  Something you ate.

Welcome to car ownership.

We can't guess what happened. Repair shop will know, hell the TowTruck driver knows because he actually sees it.

I just see letters and punctuation on the computer screen.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The dealer will tell you what happened after they thoroughly inspect the vehicle.

Yahoo users can only speculate...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

There shouldnt be any "Black" fluid in your car, that would indicate old oil or fluid that hasnt been changed and is no longer effective. it could be overheated transmission fluid and a hose may have burst which would immediately drop the pressure in the transmission and torque converter, and therefore you have no drive power. So a busted transmission hose would be my guess. If it was engine oil, the car would still move, same with power steering and brake fluid. Transmission requires fluid to generate the power.

• 2 months ago

You didn't ask a question. You asked a riddle. Black fluid from a car is most often old, dirty oil, not coolant or transmission fluid. Oil spills out of an engine after serious physical damage, such as throwing a rod (noisy explosion). Continuing to run a engine with that condition increases the damage. Any mechanic can see this when given the chance to look. Perhaps your 10, year/100,000 mile warranty will fix this. My best guess is your engine threw a rod and needs to be replaced. The dealer should call you with the verdict. You should insist on repair by warranty.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's a Hyundai

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Problem: Infrequent inspections and Inadequate maintenance. FAIL

• 2 months ago

Sure would help if you knew what the fluid was.  This does not sound like anything special though.  It just happens.

Most likely on a brand new car that has not been tested, or on an old car that has everything worn out, but can happen at 4 yrs and 45,000.

If this had happened on the highway, you would be stranded for a while , but nowhere close to dead.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Why? Who knows. Anything machinal can fail at any time making no difference if new or old. Not normal for a car to fail at 45k but it can happen even if only 5 miles or 100,000 on it. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.