Can you help me with the Holy Bible?

He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David.

What does "ancestor" mean in this case?

Thank you!

• ?
    Favorite Answer

genealogy.

SAME LINE......

JESUS is this ONE.

King David was HIS ancestor.

Luke chapter 3 proves this.

It means just that: ancestor, someone who is related to you but dead.

The "God-man" had a lineage through David.

"And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.

And I will pour upon the house of David [Joel 2:28; Acts 2:17], and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace and of supplications [Acts 1:14]: and they shall look upon Me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for Him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn" (Zechariah 12:9-10).

Ancestor in the sense of lineage.  David was Jesus' ancestor.

• Sean

The word itself can mean generator, parent, founder, forefather, founder of a nation, or a title of honor, but in this case, I believe it means a "transmitter of lineage through royalty of the nation of Israel by means of someone in your line". In effect, by being the son (adopted or otherwise) of Joseph, he fulfilled the ancestry of David. He also did so through his mother's line. In either case, lineage can be passed from father to son or from mother to son (although this was rarer).

God promised King David that an offspring will always be on the throne  Jesus Christ is the enternal throne