Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 2 months ago

Simplify a Boolean expression using K-maps?

!A!B+!AB!C+!(A+!C)

I don't get it, aren't K-Maps for simplifying expressions when all the terms have the same variables? Every term has a different number or type of variable, how am I supposed to use K-maps here?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No, you don't need every variable in every term in order to use a Karnaugh map.  You just need to write out the truth table for the boolean expression.  That truth table is effectively an equivalent representation of your expression as a sum of minterms. (Each 1 or T in the final column corresponds to a minterm.)

If you don't want to do the truth table, you can use boolean algebra to get those entries to plug into a K-map grid.  Pardon me if I use A' for "not A" instead of the C-like !A.  First, use de Morgan to get rid of parentheses:

A' B' + A' B C' + (A + C')' = A' B' + A' B C' + A' C

Then add (x + x') factors in all terms with a missing variable x.  (This is the magic step to make every term a minterm.)

= A' B' (C + C') + A' B C' + A' C (B + B')

That's valid because C + C' = 1 and B + B' = 1.  Now use the distributive property to get rid of parentheses:

= A' B' C + A' B' C' + A' B C' + A' B C + A' B' C

Finally, remove duplicate minterms if there are any.  This is easier to do if you reorder the term in "index order".  You find that A' B' C occurs twice:

= A' B' C'  + A' B' C + A' B C + A' B' C'

In indexed minterm "m_x for the minterm with index x" form, that's:

= m_0 + m_1 + m_2 + m_3

Those are the index spots in your K-map grid that get ones.  All the rest are zeroes.

If you've done more than a half dozen or so K-maps (or had any practice with boolean algebra), it's pretty obvious now that the answer will be simply A'.   Or !A in your notation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.