Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

What do you Senior Citizen's think of the younger generation born after 2OO5 compared to other age groups you've witnessed grow up?

Youth is a tough period for EVERY generation. We all faced challenges that helped to shape who we became. There is no way we can understand the challenges facing youth today. We never had to face the 24/7 availability of technology that can be both a blessing and a curse. We met our bullies face to face and sometimes went home bloodied. Today's bullies can bully on-line with impunity. With so much of life now being on-line, I wonder if today's young people will ever feel comfortable in the real world ....Or maybe that is a dinosaur's view of a world that, for the future, will mostly be lived on-line. That will be the real world. I am not sorry to be nearer the end of my life than the beginning.

They are ill-prepared to lead this country.  They were gullible in school to just learn what government wanted you to know:  Math that no one really needs or uses, a ferocious ability to use a phone that programs your thinking, a really bad understanding of history and civics (you can look up what that is), a mostly belligerent political view of what your friends what you to know, and totally unprepared to  budget or get ready for retirement with out hand outs. 

Some are silly children while others behave appropriately.  I do have a major problem with the young people who are going about shooting people on a whim.

• Snid

I judge by the ones I know which is my youngest granddaughter and her friends.  They are a terrific group of kids.

• ?

A lot of youngsters (of the group a little older than you mention) seem to cause trouble these days but that is not such a surprise seeing how many of them just cannot get jobs.  They are bored and, when they run out of money, tend to cause trouble.  It's a sad situation. All able bodied people need to be doing something useful and constructive. The future isn't looking too good right now for those still to come.

They are generally very nice.

• Janet

They face different challenges and I don't think they have as much opportunity as my generation did.

• Zirp

Ask again in a decade or so, when they aren't children anymore

In the meantime, learn how to (not) use apostrophes

• ?

The younger generation spend all the time on their phones texting, the art of conversation will die out as they do not communicate in person just via their phones. Hopefully they will learn some sense as they are going to be the leaders of the country tomorrow.

On the other hand they have been lucky that technology has progressed since I was born in 1945 and they really do not know how lucky they are. I left school in 1960 and we were considered the lucky teenagers who never had it so good.  We did have good times and I would not change a minute of it.

• kswck2

They feel more entitled and less understanding of the world around them. And I am glad to know that I will not be around  any longer when they inherit the Earth.