How come a new  watchband costs just as much as a new watch?

The reason for the cost difference is that the maker of the watchband really wants you to bid on it, not buy it outright. That is why there are so many different kinds, shapes, and colors.

Depending on the design the watch bands ends are shaped weird instead of straight.

Ebay and Amazon sometimes have reasonable quality and pricing.

• It depends on what band you buy and where you buy it. 

Since getting my Fitbit Blaze, I've had a few bands that have broken and have had to be replaced. I've been ordering replacement bands off both Amazon and eBay and have spend probably around $10 a band which is not even close to the $100 something I paid for my Blaze (If I were to order a band direct from the Fitbit website, I probably would have had to pay at least $30). 

If the band on your watch is replaceable, and you need to replace it, I highly recommend doing research before buying any replacements. You can almost always find something that is a lot cheaper than what the manufacturer is charging and that is just as good in quality. You should only purchase direct from the manufacturer of the item you are trying to replace if there are no other replacement options available anywhere in-store or online. 

• Marvin

I think you mean “bracelet”. 

A “band” is made of metal links with springs. A “band” allows you to slip your watch over you hand onto your wrist. It has no clasp. They went out of style back in the 70's.

A “Strap” is like a belt, it comes in two parts, and has a buckle. Usually they are made of leather or plastic.

A “bracelet” is made of metal.  It also slips over your hand, and it has a clasp that once closed, fits comfortably on your wrist.

If the “bracelet”, "strap", or "band", cost more than your watch then you have a very cheap watch. I can get a cheap bracelet for $5 that will fit my Rolex Submariner.

That usually only happens with watches that have special attachments for the strap, or need shaped ends to fit the watch; it gives the makers a captive audience.

If you make sure any watch you buy uses the traditional spring pin attachment, you can get replacement straps/bands that cost next to nothing.

I've replaced the band twice on my Pebble smartwatch as they wear out, each time with standard ones from ebay..

Perhaps it's a better watchband than the original.

I was surprised that my thermometer's new battery was more expensive than a new thermometer.

Most watches are made of cheap materials.      

The best low-priced brand is Timex. 

No watch will last forever. 

Watch bands, like anything else, are priced according to 

the cost of manufacture plus transportation to stores, etc.   

Consider buying a watch with a solid stainless-steel case and a good movement.    

Expect to pay at least $200 for a time-only model, 

or a little more for something with a date or day/date feature. 

My Seiko 5H23-8A09, made in January 1988 

and purchased for $120 in June 1989, is still working.  

Its original crystal remains in place, 

and the movement has needed professional service only once, a few years ago.    

The Speidel Twist-O-Flex expansion band I installed 

two weeks after I bought the watch is still in good condition.  

• ?

because watch band new watch

Because that's what people will pay for them. The band on my wife's fitbit broke after a year so I bought another band...damned cheapest one was about $30. Fitbit is no good if you don't wear it on your wrist, so you're stuck. Regular watches are the same expense. Go figure.