Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Is religion so successful because everyone wants to fit in be a part of a group rather than be an outcast atheist?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Probably not. Religion is taught. It takes a logical mind to reject what appears to be impossible. People prefer answers to unknowns, even if not very sensible, it's easier to believe in a deity for beginning of the universe, of life, and people want to believe an afterlife. 

Also, people do like to congregate and many go to churches just to be in groups. 

Pew Research followup to religious questions and and actual tracking of people found that people are far less religious than they claim as a whole.

The "attends services" frequency is far less than stated.

The "I have doubts" people are closer to atheist.

What is occurring is young people are not participating in organized religion as much and instead are spiritual.

It is true that people don't freely admit they are agnostic or atheist.

Lately, the Pandemic, without services, has people growing in faith.

The probable actual is about 25% of adults no longer consider themselves a member of any particular faith.

The 3% atheist could be up to 8%. 

4% Agnostic is also anywhere up to 8%

9% don't claim anything at all, and religion is not important.

7% are spiritual.

The numbers don't add because actual categories vary.

• 2 months ago

It is definitely easier to go along with the crowd.  It takes guts to think for yourself.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

“The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:”  - Deuteronomy 7:7, KJV

8 The Lord God, which gathereth the outcasts of Israel saith, Yet will I gather others to him, beside those that are gathered unto him. - Isaiah 56:8, KJV

26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God. 27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved: 28 For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness. - Romans 9:26-28, KJV

Note: Esaias = Isaiah (Yashayah)

• !
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

This isnt the 17th century, gramps. We dont shun atheists any more

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

That is close to the truth.  It is about the "whole family", Eph. 3:15 and the "household of faith", Eph. 2:19, 1 Tim. 3:15, 

• 2 months ago

Probably for the majority, it does work something like that, unfortunately even within Christianity (I'm a Christian).

In Mt 25, Jesus described Christians who appeared to have focused on the all the social aspects of the religion and not much on obeying his command regarding loving one's neighbors (e.g. visiting the sick and prisoners)--and it doesn't work out well for them on the day of judgment.

• 2 months ago

I'm a Christian 

• 2 months ago

I would not want to be part of a group that believes in supernatural nonsense.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.