I see people converting AC units to air compressors. is there a way to do it the other way?

Can you convert a normal air compressor to work as an air conditioner in some way?

I don't see why not. The AC comp will use O-rings, the air comp will probably use compression fittings, flat washers. A leak on a shop compressor  doesn't mean a lot. It does on AC.

Ive used an old Car AC comp, it didn't have much volume. It Did Work, bax, I Did refill tires with  it. Long recovery time, yes  .Last I looked; car ACs were 140 PSI, hi side. My shop compressor does that.  I put a sight tube on my car AC compressor, when  I had it, kept oil in it. Not much got into the tank, doesn't hurt it anyway, oil prevents rust and bursting. This was a tiny Jap 3 piston unit; an old '69 Chrysler "V-Twin" would have done better. 

Car ACs are Not hermetically sealed. Maybe house units are. I only replaced an evaporator; it was brazed-on, yes.

Freon Evaporates to a gas Instantly when exposed to atmosphere. 

• not

An automotive A/C compressor is capable of more than 500psi. The favorite unit for this conversion is rated 10cfm. The average home air compressor is half those specs. So while the A/C compressor can do the easy job of being an air compressor it's going to come up shy the other way around. 

Man oh man some of these answers. What is it with these people who pretend to know something about cars.

No. 

Forget your fantasy. 

An A/C compressor is a totally sealed unit, whereas an air compressor generally isn't. 

----------

There may be a problem with using an A/C compressor as an air compressor. 

How does that style compressor get lubricated?  Does it have an oil sump and an oil pump like the old GM/Frigidaire A-6 compressor? 

Or does it not have an oil sump or oil pump, like the old GM/Frigidaire R-4 compressor, which requires the refrigerant to keep moving the compressor oil around and lubricating the moving parts? 

You have to think past the obvious if you want a dependable machine.

Source(s): Been there

Not easily. An AC compressor is designed to contain 100% of the freon working fluid, ie: absolutely no leaks.

Also an AC compressor is designed to pump a lot of oil around, so not very good as a tyre compressor.

No and if some jojo's are making air compressors out of AC compressors I'd be surprised if they could even blow up a tire.

They are are using the Air conditioner pump. They are using that to compress air and feed it to a tank. Seems like a bad idea too because there would still be freon in it and it would be extremely difficult to clean all of it out. You would have to add so many parts to an air compressor to make it an air conditioner that's it's not even remotely close to worth doing.