Is tie rod repair needed for alignment?

I saw an offer for a place on Groupon offering a front wheel alignment for $35. I decided to buy it since it seemed like a good price. The shop told me I need a left inner tie rod end before he can do an alignment. Is this necessary for an alignment or is he trying to make up for the low price? It is a 2007 Chevy Impala LT.

A four wheel alignment can't be done if any of the suspension parts are loose. I find it very unusual that an inner tie-rod end would be loose when it's covered by a steering rack bellows. I'd want to see the old part (not expensive) when they're finished.

If the tire rod is worn there's no way to get an accurate alignment on the vehicle. A worn tire rod will cause excessive slop in the steering system and will not hold the wheel alignment accurately. So if you legitimately have a bad tire rod it definitely needs to be repaired in order to perform an alignment.

If you have bad tie rods, ball joints, wheel hubs, etc then yes, you would need to replace or repair those items before getting an alignment. Reason being it wont hold the alignment. And if it did happen to hold it, your tires would be eaten up really quickly.

It is necessary only if he is telling you the truth.  Using a $35 dollar come-on is not good.  His time costs him $90 to $100 an hour.  Why would he advertise a $65 dollar loss?

No, he is telling you the truth.  Another shop may not and do the alignment and in a day it is out again.  I know cars for 45 years.

You can check this YOURSELF with a friend! With engine OFF< but key IN<< have a pa; jiggle; the steering wheel! PUT your hand on BOTH front tires! There should be ZERO play and there should be NO PAUSE and the jiggle should match the motion of the wheels! You can FEEL a POP or sense a hesitation on the tire itself! IT is LIKELY that you DO need a new inner tie rod end, but NOW you can check it for YOURSELF! You can even SEE if there is a hesitation with the jiggle!

It's necessary if the tie rod is bad. That $35 price was an incredible hook to get people to come to them so they could find other problems that are much more expensive to fix. They couldn't stay in business doing wheel alignments for only $35.

You always need to replace bad tie rod end and ball joints before an accurate alignment can be done. I wouldn't go there. Any mechanic with a brain knows the front end can not be aligned until the rear suspension is aligned first. Average 4 wheel alignment cost is $80. Don't even think about having some idiot align the front end with out doing the rear alignment first. The tie rod needs replacing if it is worn and has play in it. You can't set the toe in adjustment with a loose tie rod.

It's possible hes just trying to make more money but maybe not. Shops will straight up lie to people a lot of times. It sounds like u arent well versed in cars enough to know what a worn inner or outer tie rod will be like. Maybe do some research and then ask to see it

Source(s): Either why, how do you know you need an alignment? Are your tires wearing unevenly?

Yeah this part needs to be tight for the alignment to keep from wandering. But many of these inners have a tiny bit of play normally. Ask to see it next time. Always ask that then react from there. It is called show me.