Anonymous

Should I stop being friends with somebody for having biased or racist tendencies?

I am a 20 year old (black girl) I’ve been friend with another girl (who happens to be black as well) I have heard her say a lot of out of pocket stuff like “I only date white or Hispanic men” (which is fine because it’s a preference) or saying stuff like “I want mixed race kids because they are prettier”. But recently I asked her about her thanksgiving plans and mentioned having a “friends-giving” one day , she mentioned she had already had one the following year (which I knew nothing about) and I asked her “why didn’t you invite me?” she saids “because you don’t like people, at least my friends” and I said “how do you know that” and she said it’s because they are white. I was immediately taken aback because to me it seems as though she didn’t think her friends would like me rather than if I would’ve like them. I think she has some internalized racism in her and I was wondering is that enough for me to cut her off?

I notice a lot of people saying it’s something I did or maybe I gave her an impression I don’t like white people. I never said anything like that I actually grew up around mostly white people so this is just a random assumption she had not because of anything I did or said. 

Its probably you, not her. You may be racist against white people but not know it. For example, have you openly praised or talked highly about BLM around her? Have you ever talked talked negatively about white people around her? have you ever acted rude around white people? You must have done something to give her the impression you don't like white people.

Yes. Don’t make friends with racists 

Why would she assume you don’t like white people ? You probably said something to make her think that