What time does a day start ( like when does one day end and another begin)?

I believe it's 12 am when a new day starts. Is this correct? 

Favorite Answer

12AM midnight, is a legal end of prior day and start of a new day. However, all things are in how they are considered.

Dawn is also sometimes considered the start of a day, as the time of sunrise. A day also starts when you get out of bed to begin activities of the day. Maybe a day starts at Greenwich Mean Time ‎(UTC)‎ in a time zone at their 00:00:00. Or we can think of a new day as one of significance of change.

But, 12 AM is correct. I offer other views so when you see it in writing or speaking, it doesn't always mean midnight.    

• ?

There are 2 schools of thought on that because of the way we count time. 12 am/pm is like +0 and -0. Both are correct because they are just a space / space saver between the before and after.  a 24 hr clock is much more clear.

I count from 0 to 12, so 12 is still part of the previous list, and thus 12 midnight would be 12 PM for me.  Many (perhaps most) people do not follow that line of thought though.  Thus, most of us say "midnight" or "Noon" and avoid the problem.

12:00 is not 0:00, is my logic.  If I meant 0:00 I would have said so.  However, and ironically perhaps, all of the time after 12:00 is in the next counting list, so while the PM ends at midnight, it is immediately followed by AM.

We are not normally so precise as to time instantaneity as to declare 12:00 as being nothing more at all than exactly 12:00, so therein arises the problem.

This is sort of like the problem of the end of a millennium or century.  It ought to be 1000 or 100, when that year ends, as it is the thousandth or hundredth year of the count.  However, we see those zeros and want the count to Start with zero.  It simply is not correct in actual fact.

• Zirp

at 0.00 aka midnight

Logically, there's no such thing as "12 AM" or "12 PM"

That would be what I think too, but then I get all meta on myself and I think "IS 12:00:00 the beginning, or is it the end of the last day and 12:00:01 the actual beginning of the new day?"

If you think about it, it doesn't feel right to end a day at 11:59:59 as it will be ripped off by a second.

No, after giving it more thought, I think 12:00:00 should actually be the last of a day, and a new day should start at 12:00:01. That way everything is tidy.

Are you sorry you asked now?

• Murzy

midnight                             .