Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

My girlfriend and I broke up a week ago due to stress of long distance. I’m now in town for the holidays, should I reach out to see her?

Like I said before, it’s only been a week since we mutually agreed to break up. I felt like she was too emotionally needy/dependent on me and I couldn’t be a support to her like she asked of me through the distance. She felt like she needed more commitment from me after 4 years and 8 months. So we mutually agreed to end things. I do really love her and see her as family. I didn’t want to end things but the distance was becoming too stressful for the both of us. Now I’m in town visiting family. We had planned to see each other once I was in town and now I just feel like **** knowing she’s so close but that I can’t see her.

• Embery

No. What happens when you leave your penpal?

• Strand

Be honest, you don't just want to have a friendly chat. It would be cruel and selfish to lead her on just so you can get laid one last time. You made your choice and the relationship is over. You two can't be friends while the break up is so fresh and need space to get over each other. Leave her alone and move on.

• ?

I would not.  If after 4 years and neither of you made the commitment to relocate to the other, then you're likely never going to.  Which means there is no hope of a lasting relationship.

The reason I say that is in order for a long distance relationship to work, there has to be definite plans for one partner to eventually relocate to the other.  By definite, I mean something like when both finish school, after X amount of money is saved, when you reach the age of ___.  And "one of these days" sort of plans is not definite, you need something specific.

So, unless one of you is ready to move, going to see her is just going to prolong any sadness she may be experiencing over the breakup.  And that's just a mean thing to do.

Source(s): Was in a long distance relationship for 2 years, now married to her for over 20 years.

Yes, you could restore your relationship.