Can I sell something I found?

A friend of mine has given me a watch to sell for them as I am very clued up about selling antiques stuff. My question is If the person has found something that they are not sure about could they get in trouble. I have found out from Online watch register that the watch is not stolen and I have a certificate. I have done this as due diligence  Can I still get in trouble for this.

If it is determined the watch was stolen it can be taken by the police. The certificate should go a long way in proving that you made an effort to determine if it was not stolen. Without being able to show evidence of how you legally came into the posession of the watch, however, such as purchase receipt of some kind, you still have liability in that regard  for the watch.

• Bruce

It could still be stolen, the owner may not have noticed it missing yet. Unless you trust your friend 100%, you should be asking why he gave it to you instead of selling it himself. 

My state has a specific law requiring you to turn in property valued over $25. If not claimed in 30 days, it is returned to you. "Finders keepers" is not a legal principle, so you could still be held accountable.

Of course you could.  You are acting as someone else's AGENT in the sale of the watch.  That makes you far more responsible than any other person who decides to sell a watch.

Someone either gave it to you to sell OR you found it.  Pick one.

Tell him where to list it for sale and at what price.  There is no reason why you should front for him.  It is just as easy for him to do this himself.  If you list an item for sale that is found to have been stolen, YOU will be the one who gets into trouble.  'Friend' might vanish.

Yes, it could still be stolen.  Not even theft gets into the register, at least not immediately.  Some thefts are not even discovered for years.

• Tavy

If you have the certificate then go ahead.