Can a 12 year old know what gender they like?

My daughter is 12 and she has changed her way of dressing since a few months back. She has asked me to buy her these pride stuff which I do buy and support her all the way. I have told her since before that her education is the most important thing and she should focus on her future, she has and has very good grades and has a plan of what she wants to be. When she was in grade school she wanted to be a vet now she wants to be a marine biologist or zoologist(its always animals that catch her interest the most). I see her focusing on what's important but she also has this side to stand up for LGBTQ. She used to have crushes on boys so I'm a bit confused? Any help or advice?

If she is lesbian I will support her. I just want advice on what to say to make her feel comfortable with who she is.

Yes 12 year olds can know. I only realized I was a lesbian at 23 but thinking back on my childhood it was really obvious. I had crushes on girls when I was 12 I just couldn’t identify it, if she’s a lesbian or bi I’m honestly very happy for her to be able to realize that already. Struggling with your sexuality honestly limits your happiness. It’s a wonderful thing for you to be supporting her. 

Twelve sounds old enough to me.  I was eleven when I realised and my first definite sexual feelings with hindsight happened when I was eight or nine.

• reme_1

Call the LGBT and talk to the counselor. Kids are figuring out life earlier and earlier. Also contact PFLAG.org- a wonderful support group made up of mostly parents of LGBT kids. They will help you thru this confusing time. Thanks for trying ti be supportive.  HUGS FROM A BOOMER LESBIAN

They have an idea but some are still figuring it out. Just keep supporting her and she will feel comfortable. 

Where and why would a twelve year old get the idea about “pride stuff?”  That’s what I would ask.  She’s under the influence of some people outside the home.  Just like everyone else, she’s trying to fit in.

As parents, we have a duty to make sure our children have clear boundaries.

Would your attitude have been any different if she were asking to buy stripper clothes? Or gang colors?

This issue got your attention didn’t it?  Somewhere inside, your conscience said, “Hold on here! This doesn’t feel right.  What’s going on?”

Women are the only creatures who suppress this wonderful instinct of the “Mama Bear.”  Don’t suppress what you know is right.

Yes, they can!                               

Someone at school is encouraging her to explore LGBT lifestyle. That’s wrong. If she naturally identifies as a lesbian later in her life, that’s fine. But at this young age, she is supposed to be learning. Children go to school to learn. They are not supposed to be influenced by the LGBT propaganda.

I dont think she is gay but do think that she being exposed to lgbt to early. Kids are impressible. Who ever is telling her about the gay thing needs to slow down. Teacher or friends mom, someone is pushing it on her. I know it sounds like gay bashing but she being taught about sex. She's a little young.

I remember as a seven year old finding a girl attractive. I remember her name and what she looked like. That was well over forty years ago. 

"but she also has this side to stand up for LGBTQ."

And what's the problem with that?

Just because she believe in equality doesn't necessarily mean she's gay.

Give her space and time.