Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 2 months ago

Why do people use bacon grease to flavor their food what flavor does it bring ?

When you fry hashbrowns in bacon grease, they are golden!

• ?

A bacony salty flavour, for example if you fried mushrooms or hash browns in it, you would'nt need extra flavourings.

You realise you've answered your own question right? It might not be the healthiest way but obviously they like it. 

Now what flavor do you suppose bacon fat brings to a recipe??

It will generally give your food a smoky, salty vibe, but I never use it as I am not really a fan of bacon. I will eat it if it is available, but I never cook it for myself. 

• kswck2

It imparts a smoky bacon flavor to the food you are cooking, instead of plain oil. It is also better to recycle that oil, rather than dumping it down the drain.

• ?

Um because you have to ask the question, I'm fairly certain any answer would be lost. Or maybe it brings a mint chocolate chip quality....

Bacon grease brings a bacon flavor without the bacon. If I'm making biscuits for breakfast and have some rendered bacon fat on hand I can use that in addition to the the butter I use. I can use half butter and half bacon. If I'm making them for dessert I may not want that meaty, smoky and savory flavor. 

There are those out there that haven't the foggiest idea what fiber is or what other foods help to keep a healthy heart. They avoid some foods like the plague but I enjoy all foods and understand what they bring nutritionally. They are so scared of anything fun that I pity them. OMG!? You're eating bacon? You're heart is going to explode and you'll DIE!!!! And you have a stick permanently rammed up your backside. Pitiful...

Fortunately for those who love to cook and eat, we know that there are other foods which can balance the scales such as having a nice bowl of rolled oats with that YUMMY bacon. Apples and oranges actively lower LDL's. Add some sliced apples and cinnamon to that oatmeal and it becomes cholesterol's worst nightmare. Just because someone is so ignorant that they say " It should be tossed in the bin with the bones and use oil instead" that's they're loss. They can't understand that there are also heart healthy foods that counter that EVIL!!!!! bacon. They're also wasteful.

Have you ever eaten pancakes? You haven't ever cooked a pancake in bacon grease. The pancakes gets this crispy exterior and the same fluffy interior when rendered bacon fat is used instead of butter or neutral flavored oil vegetable oil. Sure that oil has its place but so too does rendered bacon fat. 

• ?

You mean you can buy bacon grease on its own without having to buy bacon to make it?  The only bacon grease I've heard of is that formed by frying up some bacon.

I gave up meat earlier this year but I would definitely welcome some bacon grease to flavour some of these bland vegetarian meals I'm choking down.  I really hope someday I'll get used to and start enjoying these meat-free meals but it's very difficult

Bacon grease imparts a smoky unctuous flavor to anything cooked in it. The curing process imparts flavors that are hard to replicate, although an Australian company is now selling a vegan bacon flavoring.

• ?

I don't know if you mean lard? It doesn't really give off a taste of bacon or pork I don't think but it's disgusting artery clogging gunk, there's no need for it to be made at all and it makes the vegetarians have more of a point when they make their unnecessary claims. It should be tossed in the bin with the bones and use oil instead.