? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Are mandates by governors the same as laws passed by legislatures?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No, they are not.

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It depends on the constitution and laws of each state. Some states give governors more power than others.

• 2 months ago

Yes and No.  Each state constitution gives the governor specific power that allows them to make mandates on certain things (like health) especially during a crisis, and are temporary.  Laws passed by legislatures, and signed by the governor are not temporary.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No, on the state level, they're the same as executive orders given by the President of the United States. Just like a President's executive order can only be overturned by an act of the Legislative Branch (i.e., Congress) that's been passed by a supermajority or by the Judicial Branch (i.e., a federal district judge or by SCOTUS), a governor's executive order or "mandate," as you put it, can only be overturned by an act of the state's legislative branch with enough votes that it can overcome a gubernatorial veto or by the state's judicial branch (i.e., a state judge or the state supreme court), but it can also be overturned by the US Supreme Court or by the US Congress if the substance of the governor's executive order falls within the enumerated powers of the US government as defined by the US Constitution and violates the US Constitution but is not among any of those powers expressly reserved to states by the US Constitution over the US Constitution.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.