One asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 2 months ago

How do I cut down a tree? ?

I have a tree that seems to be dead. It's located pretty close to the house and some power lines. What would be the best way to remove the tree without damaging things? 

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Take six weeks off work. Use an axe to chop at tree two or three times a day. The key is to miss everytime.  Come inside and drink beer and watch TV to recover.  

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I would watch re-runs of Ax Men or find some youtube channels.  That is how I learned the right way to cut down trees.

• L
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

If you feel comfortable, have a chain saw..........you can cut it yourself.  Just cut it in 5 ft. sections until you get it all down or hire a Tree Cutting Service.

• garry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

how about tying each limb and having some one pull it as you cut the tree in 4 foot cuts .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

If you want to cut the tree safely, then hire a professional or you can follow this guideline.

• 2 months ago

HIRE A PROFESSIONAL. You have to trust me here--cutting down your own trees is one of the most dangerous things you can do, especially if you have to ask how to do it. Example: I went to the ER once and was next to a guy who was trimming his own trees. The guy did not have a FACE. It had been obliterated when the limb he was sawing boomeranged back into it. That happens even on small trees and with small limbs. Don't risk it. If you damage yourself and your power lines, your insurance may not even cover it. 

BTW: They managed to stitch his face back together--but he was blinded in one eye and had brain damage. You think it can't happen to you? Unless you know exactly  how to do this job, DON'T.  

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Get a professional arborist to do this type of work.  If the tree is close to the house and power lines, it will be tricky to do.  If you tried to do it and somehow damaged the power lines, you would be held responsible.  Professionals aren't cheap, but it would be better than causing some irreparable damage to your house or power lines.

• 2 months ago

Don't do it yourself.  With two hazards close by, it is a certainty that something will go wrong.  You don't know the internal condition of the tree, and they always do something unexpected.  It needs someone who really knows what they are doing.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If it's endangering power lines the utility company will deal with it here, though they often only trim the relevant branches. If not, get a professional in to do it safely.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

hire a professional . 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.