is it cheaper to heat my home with gas or ground source heating?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I use oil, along with most of my neighbors, some is coal heat here in PA or wood burning stoves

• 2 months ago

You have to look at both the installed cost and the operating costs. In general the operating costs are lower for Ground Source heat. To do a true evaluation you need to look at how much you will save in operating costs for GS over gas. If that saving doesn't "pay back" the installed cost in about 7 to 10 years you are better off staying with gas. At 8% interest it take would about 10 years for you to get your money back on your investment.

• 2 months ago

Much cheaper to heat it with ground source, but also much more expensive to install.

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Type of ground source and the average ambient temps play a role. But heat sinks generally are more expensive to install but cost much, much less to operate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

For GS, one has to factor in getting all the kit and installing it, assuming your on a suitable site, and then the cost of running that. Long term GS will be cheaper, but gas installations are a fraction the cost - although long term they will be phased out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.