is it cheaper to heat my home with gas or ground source heating?

I use oil, along with most of my neighbors, some is coal heat here in PA or wood burning stoves

You have to look at both the installed cost and the operating costs. In general the operating costs are lower for Ground Source heat. To do a true evaluation you need to look at how much you will save in operating costs for GS over gas. If that saving doesn't "pay back" the installed cost in about 7 to 10 years you are better off staying with gas. At 8% interest it take would about 10 years for you to get your money back on your investment.

Much cheaper to heat it with ground source, but also much more expensive to install.

• y

Type of ground source and the average ambient temps play a role. But heat sinks generally are more expensive to install but cost much, much less to operate.

For GS, one has to factor in getting all the kit and installing it, assuming your on a suitable site, and then the cost of running that. Long term GS will be cheaper, but gas installations are a fraction the cost - although long term they will be phased out.