? asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 months ago

A relative stole  my child's birth certificate and social security card. how do I get another copy ?

and do I need to out out a fraud alert? 

5 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    You get the social security card from the social security administration.

    You get the birth certificate from the government of the place where the child was born.

    Do a credit freeze in addition to the fraud alert.

  • Judith
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    You need to contact the police.  It is identity theft.

    Birth Certificate - You can get a certified copy of the birth certificate at either the county clerk's office of the county of birth or the state vital records office of the state of birth.  Go online for each regarding ID needed and cost.

    Social Security Card - Apply for a replacement card online at ssa.gov.  Because of covid, only members of management are in the SS offices and you MUST make an appointment.  The rest of their employees are working from home.

    I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

  • ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

    Report the theft to the police

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    birth cert from michigan was a pain. $20-30 and a letter. Could not do it online but that was 8-10 years ago.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • DON W
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    You can request a copy of the Social Security card from the www.ssa.gov website.

    You can request a copy of the birth certificate from the state, county, or city where your child was born.  They will have a website where you can make the request.

    You don't automatically need to worry about fraud unless you have reason to think the relative may do something illegal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.