Zoe asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

stubborn dogs?

I just recently moved into an apartment and my dogs are used to going to the bathroom outside. The first couple of weeks this was fine letting them out every few hours, but since my promotion to manager at my workplace. I can't be there to let them in and out all the time and I don't want to make them hold it but I've tried everything. I tried potty pads, pet grass, and real grass indoors but they refuse to go anywhere except outside or on the carpet. I'll have to shampoo it every day if this keeps happening and I'm stressing out and wasting a lot of gas between break periods to check in on them. I'm out of options, and stressing is really bad for my physical and mental health (I have seizures from stress). Does anyone have any ideas?

• TK

Get an exercise pen or a strong baby gate.  Either leave them in the exercise pen with water and the potty pad or leave them blocked in the bathroom (properly dog-proofed) by the baby gate, with water and the potty pads. 

Then, you need to spray the carpet's accident spots with either white vinegar or a commercial enzyme cleaner to remove all odor.  If it smells like their poop or pee, then they will go there again. 

Can I ask why you moved into an apartment knowing you have these dogs, and the potential for promotion.   So as it is, you are looking at employing somebody to come in with your dogs regularly throughout the day, or putting them into a day care centre.

Using pee pads, or artificial grass is only confusing these poor dogs and will mean they continue to mess indoors.

Youi could crate them when you are absent, but for no longer than 4 hours in a day.   Otherwise it's crate abuse and they'll probably start messing in the crates too.

I don't understand the dog door suggestion, unless your apartment is on the ground floor?   And then you have to get them to use the door!!  And risk being stolen which happens when it gets known that dogs are left alone for hours.

• "stubborn dogs"

THAT is not a question. LEARN that the first field in Y!A is supposed to END with your main question. When it doesn't, some thoughtless programmer wrote a loop that puts a ❓ at the end - even if the line already ends with a ● !

Okay - this seems to be your first entry into Yahoo!Answers.There is rather a lot to learn, and no-one at Yahoo has bothered yet to programme in an EXPLANATION MESSAGE that gets AUTOMATICALLY sent to the e-address of each new person as soon as he/she creates a Yahoo!Answers username.

• "I just recently moved into an apartment and my dogs are used to going to the bathroom outside. The first couple of weeks this was fine letting them out every few hours, but since my promotion to manager at my workplace. I can't be there to let them in and out all the time and I don't want to make them hold it but I've tried everything. I tried potty pads, pet grass, and real grass indoors but they refuse to go anywhere except outside or on the carpet. I'll have to shampoo it every day if this keeps happening and I'm stressing out and wasting a lot of gas between break periods to check in on them. I'm out of options, and stressing is really bad for my physical and mental health (I have seizures from stress). Does anyone have any ideas?"

FINALLY, a QUESTION! But EVERYONE has "ideas" - some of them for theft, some of them for sex, some of them for gardening, some of them for overseas travel, some of them for getting a better-paid job.

Scanning your typing, I suggest that the REAL question is probably:

☻ "How can I get my (number) (each one's age & breed or breed-mix, gender, and fertile or neutered) dogs to go outside to piddle-poo, instead of them doing it inside my new apartment?"

Unfortunately you did NOT think to tell us HOW MANY dogs (or bìtches) you have, the AGE and BREED (or breed-mix) and which of them is a dog, which is a bìtch, and whether it has been neutered or is still fertile.

And you WON'T like the answer!

🤢 Unless YOUR apartment/flat/unit has a ground-level back door with an approved-by-the-landlord flap big-enough to let your dogs go out into (and get back inside from afterwards) a SECURELY fenced back yard, YOU HAVE TO MOVE FAST TO 🏡 A SUITABLE PROPERTY!

Until you move out, the dogs must have access to only ONE room while you're not home, and the floor of that room must be covered with 3 to 6 (depending on the bladder size of the biggest pooch) layers of sheets from old 📰 newspapers. The bathroom MIGHT be suitable for just one pooch, but I can't imagine that it is roomy enough for 2, 3 or more pooches. And it certainly won't be big enough to keep their minds 🐕‍🦺 interested!

🏢🏦🏢Very VERY few apartments/flats/units are suitable for dog owners! They are designed to get as many rent-paying people as possible into a building's space so that the combined rents easily pay the landowner's maintenance costs & mortgage. WORSE: Most of the space is 1-or-more levels ABOVE the ground.

😯 It's hard enough to keep a pooch house-clean when there is only one pooch and the owner is HOME and WATCHES the dog the whole time it is awake, then picks it up and carries it to the outside area where it is allowed to piddle-poo-vomit (with the owner then praising & rewarding the pooch), but it is IMPOSSIBLE when the owner is NOT HOME & NOT WATCHING - and ditto without the pooch having been trained to use a flap to the outside-world!

😝 Asking neighbours to take your pets out to defecate/urinate has 2 SERIOUS flaws: (1) The neighbour doesn't SEE your dogs until he/she arrives, so doesn't know when any of your pets NEEDS to piddle-poo-vomit. (2) People get different life-pressures at different times on different days, and so are unlikely to arrive at a SET TIME each day - they will, therefore, often be TOO damned LATE!

💀 As STRESS bothers you, you really truly DON'T want to be a manager❗️

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

Get a pit man. Be tough mine can kill anything they want. 

• *****

If you can't take your dogs out at appropriate intervals to go to the bathroom, you hire a dog walker, make arrangements with a neighbor to take them out, or find them a new home that can meet their needs. 

Shampooing the carpet isn't going to help much- the urine will have soaked into the pad.

I have always had a lot of dogs & one of the best things I ever did was to put in a dog door.  No more getting up & down just to let them in & out.  They can come & go at will.

Hire a dog walker.

Crate the dogs so they arent able to use the carpet while you're at work

• Maxi

Hire a dog walker, speak to people who live nearby and see if any will call in and take the dogs out

• PR

1. Doggie door: If you are allowed and can trust the dogs to go through a doggie door, try this. If in an apartment with no yard or area for a dog kennel attached, then this may not work.

2. Neighbor or friend let them out: Have a trusted neighbor walk the dogs or let them out. Some neighbors may be bored and enjoy this. A local teen or over 10-year-old may also enjoy the responsibility of this job for you and even play with the dogs. Some kids and teens are likely quite bored at this point. The small amount of money this would cost you would be cheaper than the damage to the apartment, or vet bills from sick dogs due to not relieving themselves routinely.

3. Share dogs with friend: If a friend or neighbor is home during the daytime, see if they want to "share" the dogs, meaning they have them during the daytime and you have them at night.

3. Cage dogs: If it is not over 4 to 6 hours, consider caging the dogs, although you need to be very careful with this so they don't develop bladder infections from holding it too long.

4. Remove carpet: If all else fails, try removing the carpeting, which by now is obviously very tempting. But, in the end, they may still go on the bare floor in the same areas.

Sure try a  fitting a self locking dog flap it only open s or locks when the dogs collar transponder triggers it