I need to know how to remove this white glare?

I am recording a video and I've used a white light so its more clear, my surface is very reflective and its causing a white glare on my table, I dont know how to get rid of it. 

I'll include a photo to illustrate what I am talking about, its the white circle spot at the very top. What can I do to get rid of it?

Thanks

• keerok

You are pointing your light directly to the table. Basically, you need to weaken the light without going too dark. There are different ways to do it. You can pull the light source further away from the table. You can also put a diffuser (white handkerchief?) over the light source. You can also point it slightly to another direction (so that only part of the light beam hits the table). If it becomes too dark, you can use a reflector (aluminum sheet?) to bounce a little light back onto the table.

• Sumi

The angle of reflectance *(the glare) is equal to the angle of incidence *(the light source).  In other words, the angle of the light bouncing off of a surface is equal to the angle of the light source relative to the surface of the item with the glare.  Therefore what you need to do is move the lights so that the angle of the lights to the surface of the desk won't create an equal angle that allows the light to shine into the lens.

Another way of explaining this is if you stand in front of a mirror and shine a flashlight into your reflection you will see the light hitting your eyes.  This happens because the angle at which the light is coming out of the flashlight is at the same angle of the light bouncing off of the mirror and into your eyes.  Move the lights just a little bit and the light is no longer in your eyes.  This is what you need to do in order to prevent your camera from seeing the reflection of the light source.  Often a 45 degree angle is a good starting point.

Now, if you want to remove the glare that's already in the shot, you will need to use a photo-editing program such as Photoshop or GIMP to clone the surrounding area that does not contain glare over the area that does have the glare.

• qrk

Some will suggest a polarizing filter, but it won't work for a direct reflection that you show. It will help with off-center glare, but not the main blotch.

The way to remove the reflection is have the light slightly behind you, not directly overhead as in your example. If you have multiple lights that are moveable, side light your subject and move the lights around to minimize glare.

You can also change your surface. Example: drape a table cloth over the table.

What is your subject matter? That makes a difference how you light your scene.

Thank you for including a clear example of your issue.