Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

Dealership tried to sell the car that I still own.?

So I'm going to try to make a long story short. My husband and I are wanting to purchase a new vehicle. We have a vehicle as a trade-in. When we decided to leave the dealership to think about buying the car we were interested in, we were told we could take the vehicle of interest home for a night to see how we like it. We said no because we had already tested it on the lot. They assured us it would be a good idea, so we did. We never should have done that.

Fast forward, they were so sure they had a sale that they took my vehicle (the possible trade-in), washed it, put stickers all over it, scraped off the name of the dealership we purchased it from (leaving a sticky mess), stamped the VIN number on all of the windows, threw away our license plate frame, tore off the registration sticker and threw both license plates away. After I told them a few things, they suddenly found one of the license plates (I live in Texas where you must have two) and they put the sticker back in the window but it's torn in places and bent up. They said they would order a new plate to replace the old one.

So what would you do? What would your next steps be? Is this just a "too-bad" situation?

• car253

I would be plenty angry.    File a complaint. You need to make sure this dealership is not scamming people.  https://www.txdmv.gov/complaints#:~:text=We%20inve...

Would all depend on what you signed at the dealership probably. But I would definitely contact an attorney about this.

They will make things right. You are overreacting.

You sue for monetary damages.  What are your monetary damages?

1. You ask them to clean where they removed the dealer sticker and you jump for joy that you are no longer free advertising for that dealer (any dealer).

Next time you buy a car with the dealer sticker on it, you make sure it's taken off before driving it off the lot (if you are buying from that dealer) and have it taken off if you are buying private party.

2.  Have them clean the windows

3. Have them replace the plates and registration sticker.

Get it in writing and include a penalty for them not doing it in a timely manner.

The end.

There's not much you can do other than have them replace the plates.Everything else is not worth pursuing.

I would definitely find another dealership to buy the newer car from, that's for sure.

How did this dealership intend to actually sell your vehicle?  They're not the owner, you signed no contract giving them any authority to sign your vehicle over to anyone else, so how?  Nobody can transfer ownership of a vehicle without the owner's signature in the required box, not even in Texas.  

• Spiral

Get them to pay for it