Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 months ago

Will my guinea pigs suffer if I rehome them?

Note before I begin, if you want to make rude, negative, or uneducated comments, take it elsewhere. One thing I do have is self-awareness and I don't need you people telling me what an awful owner I am. So keep it to yourselves. 

I have owned my guinea pigs for several years. One of them since they were about half a year old. They are both about 5-6 years old so they are definitely getting up there. I still firmly believe that once you get a pet, it's for life. Unless an unexpected financial or medical emergency prevents you from being able to keep them. Without going into too much detail, I have depression and depression makes it really hard to take care of myself, let alone my pigs. They sit bored in their cage day in and day out. some days I don't even say anything to them. I don't know if I have it in me to force myself to take care of them. There are so many things going on in my life right now, even without the depression. If I were talking to someone in my position I would tell them to get it together or rehome. I just don't think I can get it together right now like I need to in order to take care of them like they deserve. 

My question is, since I have had my pigs for almost their whole lives, will they completely shut down or just not do well if I rehome? Or since they will hopefully be getting better care, will they not care? Like I said, for a lot of years, all they have known is me. I hate that I am neglecting them. I just want to do what's right by everyone.

Would it be possible to make them a larger cage? Large cage means no floor time and less cleaning. Not sure if that would make in manageable for you but its an option. 

If you need to rehome them they will do fine. Older guinea pigs can adjust to a new home. I fostered a couple older pigs and they settled in just as well as the ones I got as babies. 

• Raven

I think if you can find the very best home, where they will be "pampered" they will do fine without you.