San

Which is better?

After a long journey, the tourists got involved in theft just before they (reached / arrived at) the hotel.

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I would use "reached."  However 'got involved with theft' is not good use of English because it is ambiguous. Did they steal something? Was something stolen from them? We would probably say: 'the tourists were robbed just before they.....'  You could use: "got delayed by a robbery" if they were simply delayed by it as a result of the police closing the road etc.

'Arived' would be better, but the sentence makes little sense. It would sound better if you said:

After their long journey, the tourists found there had been a theft just before they arrived at the hotel. 

**Then you would go on to explain what was stolen from them.

I would use arrived, because they will be arriving at the hotel and saying reached in that sentence just sounds bad. However, that whole sentence sounds bad. I would have to replace got with were!

After a long journey, the tourists (were) involved in theft just before they arrived at the hotel.

OR

Just before reaching the hotel, after a long journey, the tourists were involved in theft.