Robin asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Why is anti-semitism still so common in the US, unfortunately, but anti-Irish sentiment is relatively small today? ?

I don't understand. The Irish, especially the Catholics, were hated when they first started arriving en masse. They were considered poor, filthy, violent, ignorant, ultra-religious, clannish, unsophisticated, lazy, alcoholic, and subversive. Fast forward 150 years and there is not a lot of anti-Irish sentiment in the USA. Having a name like O'Connell or O'Rourke does not get you death threats, swastikas painted on your door, conspiracy theories, but if your name is Cohen, Katz, or Rosenberg, this is still distressingly common. 

What is going on? Why do only the most hardcore bigots today pick on the Irish, but anti-semitism is still all over the map? 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

There is no logic to antisemitism, as distinct from anti-Zionism, but it is something Jews have had to endure for centuries. So many Americans, including prominent Americans, have Irish ancestry nobody really thinks about it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It started when Kennedy became President.

Kennedy was an American with ancient Irish History. Kennedy was also a Catholic,. Catholics are notoriously Anti-Semitic. Catholics believe Jews killed the mythical Jesus. Try pointing out to a Catholic the Jesus was Jewish and you are going to be called a Heretic at best.

Fast Forward a few years and we have Clinton inviting IRA Terrorists to the Whitehouse to celebrate Irish National Drunkeness Day.

America has a greater number of so called 'Irish Americans' and 'Italian Americans' and also 'Hispanics' who all identify as Catholics. Hence, anti-semitism is alive and well.

• 2 months ago

I have to admit , why ,at least in modern times ,I've never understood why the Jews are singled out in this way -- there is no logical reason for it .

One might understand ,though disagree, with the prejudice shown  towards black and Muslim communities for example, even Irish (traveller community) -- but Jews , I have no idea why. It seems to be a form of conditioning , taught to the children of certain groups , from an early age ,and retained into adulthood , frankly , only by those with low intellects . 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.