Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 2 months ago

I have a legal question if I call 911 will they answer it?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

If you call 911 they will not be able to answer a legal question they are only there for emergencies. It might cause problems for you if you ring them as you would be wasting their time and blocking emergency lines.  If you have a legal question then you need to contact a lawyer.

They will answer the phone and ask what service you want. When you tell them you have a legal question they will say "Please get off the phone, sir, or I'll have you arrested for wasting time on the dedicated emergency line". And if you don't get off the line immediately, they won't hesitate to hang up on you.

• LAN

Use of 911 for anything other than an emergency (as I am sure that you are aware) is a crime.    How many useless questions a day do you ask now?

911 is only for emergencies. If you use it to ask legal question they will send police to see you because it's illegal. Just think someone could die waiting for a ambulance while you asking legal  question. 

Being in the UK, we have the world famous 999 emergency service,so I am not sure what happens in the US as I have never being able to go there,however I can answer that I dont think our operators would answer anything that was not connected directly to the emergency one has phoned for,so assume it will be much the same in America.

No. They will direct you to the non-emergency number. Even then, they may suggest you go to the station in person to ask your question.

• .

If 9-1-1 service is available in your area, someone will answer the phone. They are NOT there to give legal advice. That's not a legal question so much as a question by someone who apparently has no idea of 9-1-1 service is available in your area.

.

Your question belongs in Politics & Government>Law Enforcement  as it's currently in Yahoo Products>Yahoo Answers and not applicable to this subcategory (and thus decreases your chances of getting many useful answers).

Moving your question can be done by clicking Edit (pencil icon for mobile)>Edit category just beneath your question, then selecting the category that's appropriate for the topic.

• Audrey

No. It's against the law to call 911 if it's not an emergency.

• Daniel

Not for just Questions No 911 is for Emergency's Only not to be used for Questions 

It's not a good idea to misuse 911 in that manner. You can risk penalties for what you're asking about. Consider addressing legal questions to lawyers instead.