Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

If someone call you, what should I say  "who is this", or "who is calling"?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

"Who is calling, please" would be the best thing to say.

And, unless someone is calling your business, do NOT give your name when you answer the call.

• Anonymous
    1 week ago

Either of those questions are fine. You could also phrase it more formally as "To whom am I speaking?", if you want to be extra classy.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You wait until they say something and never say yes, if they ask you if you are the person they have just named. That can yes can be used against you for many thousands of dollars of merchandies they can buy in your name.

• 2 months ago

"Who is calling, please"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

If someone calls you, THEY should say who they are first. But if they don't, you can say, "Who is that, please?" (in the US they ask "Who is this?") or "Who's speaking?"

"Who's calling?" is also correct, though I normally use that when they have asked to speak to someone else in my household, eg my husband.

But the polite thing is ALWAYS for the caller to identify themself first. "Hello, this is bluebellbkk, could I speak to Helen, please?"

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No. When you pick up the phone you say something to help them know if they dialed the right number. If it's a business-phone you say the name of the business. If it's family-phone you say the name of the family. If it's a personal phone you say your first name or nickname

If the other side fails to identify, the polite thing to ask is "who am I speaking to?"

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I usually ask 'who's speaking?'

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If someone calls (not "call") me, you shouldn't say anything. I would say "hello." Then they usually identify themselves. Informally they'd say something like "Hi, it's Charlie." Formally, they'd say something like "Hello, this is Joe Blow from the XYZ Corporation."

If they didn't identify themselves I'd begin to suspect a junk call but I'd say "May I ask who's calling?"

• 2 months ago

If you want to be professional about it, you pickup the phone and say "This is <Insert your first name here>"  Then you wait and they should say something like, "This is <Insert their name here>, hey want to get lunch?"

If they start speaking without telling their name, and you don't recognize their voice, you then say "Could you tell me your name?" or more informally "Who is this?"

• Ana
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

The most professional one is “Hello, what’s your name?” Or “who am I speaking with?”

I’m a biz owner so I need to know this kind of stuff 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.