Neil Peart or John Bonham?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Neil Peart remains the greatest rock drummer of all time. He was a drummer for some 47 years. John Bonham was an active drummer for only 18 years. Peart set a standard for excellence and longevity, and also contributed as Rush's primary lyricist. That alone sets him apart from Bonham, who made the most of his time as Zeppelin's drummer, and is still considered one of the most influential drummers of all time. 

Neil Peart had few peers because no one played the drums like he did. There was nothing ordinary, nothing cookie-cutter, and quite frankly, nothing easy about how he played. I admire those drummers of all ages who attempt to emulate him. Try as they might, no one sounds like Neil Peart.   

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Both great. Bonham was more essential to Zep than Peart to Rush insofar as keeping the songs together (not talking about Peart's writing, without which Rush would have been mediocre).  I understand why Zep called it quits after Bonham died; would have been very difficult to find someone who could take their ideas and create a rhythmic carpet-bombing to complete the songs.  Not to mention that the Zeppelin live shows would largely have sucked had Bonham (and Jones) not been around to hold the songs together as Plant and Page f'ed off with their ad lib shet.    

• 2 months ago

John Bonham.

Why?

Both were absolute wizards for all their work in studio recordings. 

If it weren't for each ones profound & unique 'take' on every recording, neither Zep nor Rush would have been near the success that they were/are.

I saw Led Zeppelin live once and Rush three times. I've seen/heard many hundreds of live recordings, mostly on YouTube, mostly of Zep (50/1 maybe), and it's with these live performances that Bonham gets the nod.

With Rush, what you got on the album is what you got live. Nothing added, nothing subtracted. 'Limelight' in 1988 at the Rosemont Horizon, in 2013 at the First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre, or on the album, was exactly the same, in length & content. Which is no small feat, to say the least, but Peart never had to come out of the 'comfort zone' of the well worn routine. 

Zeppelin on the other hand, was rarely the same song from studio to live performance, especially on more aggressive songs.

This is where Bonham would shine brightest.

While he would usually finesse his part on some of the more 'studio like' takes of live performances (ie. Immigrant Song, Celebration Day) , his ability to follow, jump in, and exit out of Pages, and sometimes Jones's, ad-libbing and off script meanderings, is simply astounding. The 25+ minute version of No Quarter from the bootleg "Listen to this, Eddie! " comes to mind. And THIS, to me, is what sets John Bonham apart from Neil Peart.

• dman63
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Neil Peart.  Both were great drummers, but Peart was an exceptional lyricist as well.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Neil Peart.

Scott Travis or Mikkey Dee?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.