Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Should I continue to ignore?

When I was younger, my dad started ignoring me outright. I think maybe it had something to do with my mom and dad divorcing but not sure. My dad started paying tons of attention to my brother who is two years younger than me. I am his daughter. My dad used to say my brother's name over and over even when my brother was not present, almost like a weird obsession. They have an unusually close relationship.

He used to kind of just always ignore me. Sometimes we would have conversations but I always felt like I had to talk to not be quiet. Usually, my dad would always talk about himself like his work, extended family, etc. He dominates conversations and does not listen to anything I have to say or share.Fast forward to today, my dad used to talk to me but my mom and all of us live together now due to financial reasons. When my mom moved in, he started talking to my brother and I but would completely ignore my mom. So I stopped talking to him because I think it is wrong to exclude anyone. He continues to ignore her outright.

Now, he doesn't talk to me at all. He ignores me outright and I ignore him. He has never made a point to mend any sort of relationship. My mom has even confronted him about it and he says I should be coming to him. He is highly manipulative and controlling. Sometimes, he will get mad at my mom and I and then apologize with something the day after.

I just don't understand why he ignores his own daughter I guess. Should I just continue to ignore him?

Favorite Answer

Yes, continue to ignore him.

Sounds like all of the people in your family have the same coping mechanisms and social skills. Perhaps it is time to have a real conversation. 

• T J

If he does not respond to you, show any interest, why bother with him?