Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 2 months ago

Why were people in the early 1980s still wearing those STUPID bell bottoms?

1980, 1981, 1982, 1983. Hell, even the mid-80s people were still wearing them. Wtf?

The last time I checked the decade was the 80s NOT the 70s!

I thought the 80s was the decade of tapered, skinny jeans. And people threw their STUPID bell bottoms away after 1979. No?

Yes, I wore them up to 1983, do you have a problem with that? You probably weren’t even coming out the end of your daddy’s wiener at that point!

Did it really matter? That was years ago, why are you going off over something that happened years ago? so what? people could wear whatever they wanted back then just like you can wear whatever you want today, what if 5 decades from now your grandchildren tease you or shame you for dressing the way you do now?

• Mystic

People can wear whatever they want. Why do you care so much?

God, you're boring.

No.                       

We all went out of our minds.

Seems to me bellbottom pants of any description hit their zenith around 1975 and quickly faded away afterward.  I suppose some people continued to wear them for as long as they fit and were serviceable.  They were quite popular in polyester double-knit casual slacks, which I'm sure proved more durable than most of their wearer's figures.  In the blue jean department, Levi's 301 button-fly jeans were the next big thing, giving rise to the genre of designer jeans.  Still, super skinny jeans didn't show up until a decade or two later, after hipsters were invented to wear them,

The US Navy had bellbottom pants for their work uniforms for almost 200 years.  The flared dungarees finally went away in 1999, but bellbottomed trou are still preserved in the Navy enlisted dress uniform (the "Crackerjack" outfit).  You might easily have been seeing old photos of some guy wearing his Navy dungarees off duty in the 1980s.

I wore bell bottoms when I was a kid, I don't anymore, I wear regular straight levi's and best jeans I've ever had.

Why are You getting so riled up on a piece of cloth