Ray asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 2 months ago

Will Flex Seal add any tread to my motorcycle tire?

I have a tough situation where the rear tire on my Yamaha virago 750 (it’s a cruiser with dunlop tires) is severely worn and has some cords showing through around the center of the tire and I need to take the bike 110 miles on Saturday. (today is Tuesday night) Once the bike is at the destination it will be picked up by a truck and the tires are no longer an issue. I can’t afford a new tire out of a local shop and I can’t reschedule this. Will several coats of Flex Seal give me just enough tread to make the trip? I’d ride no faster than 55 on the freeway. Assume dry weather and no debris on the road.

If you use Flex Seal on your tires, you may need to lie down in a coffin with a 'My Pillow' forever.

I had a Virago 700.  I was pulled over by police in Burbank California for having a rear bald tire.  My bald tire wasn't anywhere near as bad as yours.  Mine was at the "not good when raining" level of baldness.  Yours is at the "overdue for a blowout, and then you die."

• garry

you need new tires , flex seal is for punctures , now worn out tires .. why own a bike if you cant afford the tires ..you should know by now the money you save is spent on repairs , what a dummy .

• Ron

Seems that a troll must have something better to do

Go phuck yourself Mr. Troll.

It Will "add tread", U could Possibly get "artistic" and make some wavy grooves..

But It wont Stay. Probably  fly off , jam chain/belt; whatever..

Get a used tire on C/L for $20.   A  New Kenda is $72. I am getting rid of a 160/70-17 that still has a couple thou left, No cords showing.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/search/mpa?query=tir...

@Anton: Most motorcycle tires have No steel belts.  You also never see cords and steel, together. You Arent "74" either, if you don't know it.

• F

Your chances of survival are better playing Russian roulette than riding around with that tyre.

Nothing will make that tyre safe. No matter what precautions or potions you throw at it. You might make it, you might not, I certainly would not risk it, mind you I would not have got in that position in the first place – checking your tyres is basic maintenance.

No, Flex Seal (any form) is not suitable for repairing tire treads:

"Q: Can I use Flex Seal Liquid® to repair an automobile tire?

A: We do not recommend using Flex Seal Liquid® to repair an automobile tire."

That is one well worn tire.  I do not think anyone will tell you to go ahead and not worry about it.  55 mph on the freeway makes for a lot of road rash and there are lots of folks on the road who would never notice a body laying in their lane.

I would look for 2 lane black top and 30 mph.  Be sure to wear a helmet and dress for safety.

Good Luck.