Am I going the wrong way in Silent Hill 2 pc?

Now, I'm playing for the first time and I'm in the building. THere I got 2 keys, to the courtyard and the fire escape door. I used the fire escape door key first and went into another next-door building, the unknown location for a while. I'm a little stuck so I watched the walkthrough and found out that people used the courtyard key first and done a lot of stuff before going to the fire escape door. Should I move back- start over or I can go farther and it's ok? It calls the Director cut btw

Just keep exploring; you can only progress so far before you need an item that lets you continue

• !

Its a computer game, there's no way you can play it so wrong that it has any negative impact on the real world. Play it however you want. If you get stuck, you can follow the guides, or you can start over and use what you've learned to make different choices. As long as you're having fun, what does it matter?