Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Have you ever known someone who graduated college who was unable to make it in their field?

Lots of people, including myself. I took nursing as it seemed to be the right thing to do at the time, I hated it once I started it, but the money was spent so I finished, but I never actually got work as I really didn't like the profession at all. I saved up and again went to college for business, where I graduated and have been in that line of work ever sense.

• drip

Not unable but found out after going through student teaching and earning a degree they hated working in a classroom. Worked one semester and quit teaching all together. 

practically all engineers end up as managers

and alternately some type of pen pushers.

Yes. Employers don't give you jobs based on just completion of a degree. They are looking for someone who can contribute to their success, and who will be able to work well with the others in the organization. The truth is that your resume can get you an interview, but it's your interview that gets you the job. How you come across in that interview is VERY important. You need to seem comfortable, confident but not cocky, pleasant - like a person who can work well with others.

Now- many fields, and the most interesting jobs- require a graduate degree. If you did well in school, it's something to think about. Undergraduate majors, except in engineering, contain so few courses in the major, that it doesn't necessarily equip you to do anything much. I know a lot of people who have gotten starter jobs, but realized that they needed graduate degrees to progress in their careers, and they've returned to school. That's relatively easy now when degrees can be done part-time and online.