Why are leftists called liberals here in America?

I'm Brazilian. In my country, if you tell someone you are a liberal, that person will understand that you are right-wing. He is probably a classic liberal, not a progressive.

Why did the American left misappropriate the term "liberal"?

Steve, I'm Brazilian.

Eu sou brasileiro. Posso escrever o que você quiser em meu idioma, caso ainda duvide da minha nacionalidade.

--  By normal international political standards, a "liberal" is someone who hold political, social (or both) views and policies that are centralist to moderately left wing.

--  In America, the politics is skewed several degrees to the right of normal international political standards.

--  In America (USA), many people have abused, and still abuse, the word "liberal" and apply it to people who have centre-right wing political and social views.  The American left have rarely ever considered themselves as "progressive liberals".

In most developed nations, conservatives support universal health care, strict gun control, access to abortion, and carbon reduction to reduce global warming.  In other words, in most developed nations, the US Democratic party is center-right.  US conservatives deny evolution, climatology, & epidemiology; thus aligning with a few wack-job far-right parties in Europe.

• ?

I know. And why does the US get to call themselves America when Brazil is in America too?

• Steve

Because. You are not Brazilian.