If The Godfather insists upon itself, are there other films other people feel are brilliant but you feel are overrated?
The acting is good, the story well-written; but it's cliche and there's something about it I dislike.
I feel the same way about The Truman Show. But then, Jim Carrey is a divisive actor.
Karen: Apt user name (I joke).
- CaninesLv 62 months ago
Opinion on film can be very subjective. The Godfather is a brilliant film, but since they show it every month on TV, the film loses it's appeal every time it plays. I judge a movie based on what I thought the first time I saw it. Both The Godfather and The Godfather II were magnificent at their first showing--that's what counts.
Now, as far as other films I saw the first time and wasn't that impressed...
- The Blair Witch Project
- All of the Lord of Rings movies
- Star Wars and the trilogies that followed
- All of the Indiana Jones movies
- Shakespeare in Love
- Slumdog Millionaire
There are too many to list, but the movies above I didn't like the first time I saw them, or the other times after trying to find something interesting about them.
- Anonymous2 months ago
A Clockwork Orange
Field of Dreams
- Anonymous2 months ago
The English Patient. I lost my patience with its dreadfully slow pacing.
- ?Lv 72 months ago
The first time I tried to watch The Godfather, I fell asleep.
Also: the second time.
The third time I finally managed to stay awake through the entire film
and at the end I wondered why I went to the trouble.
I just don't understand why people think it's such a great film.
With Shawshank, I didn't fall asleep...but I didn't like it either. Maybe it's because "the moral of the story" was that if you are not a criminal you're screwed, but if you become a criminal then you win. The movie describes the moral fall of the man who was not [apparently] immoral...and how that fall leads to his success (at the expense of others, of course).
Other "greats" that I didn't like:
- Annie Hall - fell asleep during that one, too. just boring
- Forrest Gump - I couldn't suspend my disbelief, it was TOO much fiction while TRYING and FAILING to be realistic. That is: the character, and his super abilities, were just too unbelievable.
- The Green Mile - which suggests that Jesus was merely a man with super-psychic powers, and which also is just a very depressing movie
- The Lion King - in my opinion, one of the least-good of Disney's animated films. Pick *almost* any Disney animated film, I like it a LOT better. Maybe it's due to the unrealistic behavior of the animals. Maybe it's the sappy music. Maybe it's the predictable storyline. Maybe it's a combination of all of those.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Karen LLv 72 months ago
Oh, only about 93% of all the films there are.