Question about when it's legal to park in a handicap space...?
1. If someone who is legit handicapped in your household is at home and you take their car, and you have that handicap sticker ---- can you park in a handicap space without worry?
2. What if you're legit handicapped but don't have a sticker on your car?
- 2 months agoFavorite Answer
1. Its illegal, but with the sticker, you are unlikely to be bothered since not all handicaps are readily evident just by looking.
2. Nope, need the permit.
- BruceLv 72 months ago
1. Borrowing someone else's handicapped placard is like borrowing their drivers license. It is issued to them, so it can only be used by them.
2. You have to meet both requirements. You must be handicapped and you must display the placard.
- Anonymous2 months ago
Legally, only the person who the handicap permit was issued to is allowed to use it. If you use their car, you’re supposed to park in a regular space. It doesn’t matter if you believe you’re handicapped, if you don’t have a permit, you can’t park there. Not all handicapped people have a visible disability either. Basically, if you were issued a permit, you can park in the handicap space. If you don’t have a permit, you can’t park there. The people issuing tickets don’t decide who is handicapped and who isn’t. They just write tickets for anyone parked there without the proper permits.
- Anonymous2 months ago
If you're driving the car and are not handicapped, it's illegal. If, for example, you park the car and someone sees you walking inside without difficulty and calls the cops, you can be ticketed and charged because you were not the holder of the sticker. I have a friend who had a placard due to lung disease. He made a quick trip to the store one day and felt well enough not to take his oxygen tank with him. He got back to his car and found a cop, and had to show his oxygen tank and paperwork.
If you're handicapped and don't have a sticker, you can't park in the space.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Jimmy CLv 72 months ago
Just because the car has a sticker does not mean an able-bodied person can use it. That is immoral because it is selfish and deprives a genuinely handicapped person from using the space.
- realtor.sailorLv 72 months ago
Yes if you have a handicap sticker or plate. No.2 you're SOL if you get caught.