Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

Do you think I did a wrong thing by defending my boyfriend?

He is a foreigner and can't speak thr language, at work he wad mistreated, insulted and pushed to work even more and more hours, that resulted with him being completely weary, pale face, always tired, he just came from work, ate and fell asleep, every day for months. One day he was sick and couldn't go to work, he stayed at home for just one day and when he came back at work they told him he did that on purpose and shouted at him. I told my boyfriend to quit the job, he did that, but the manager wanted to speak to him, so I went with him cause he didn't know what to say. During the meeting I got mad at his employer and told him his behavior and also of the other coworkers with him was inacceptable, they basically exployed him and felt more like slavery than work (I had never seen him sicker and weaker than the time he worker there). He argued about it and I just told him clearly he was taking advantage of the fact that he couldn't defend himself as he doesn't speak the language. Then we got away and I was so happy I defended him and said the truth in front of his employer. My boyfriend instead he was a bit mad cause he says I shouldn't have said those things. I was like, you're going to quit so you can say whatever you want but he just wanted to go without giving an explanation, and I just gave his employer the right one. 

• Foofa

Yeah, that's pretty intrusive over someone you're not even married to. Just apologize, tell him it'll never happen again and then make sure to explain to him that he can't put this job on his resume or direct anyone to that boss for a referral. In the future let him handle his own business. He's your partner not your child. 

I think you overstepped. It was his job, therefore it was his decision of how he wanted to quit. He may have wanted a good reference, or maybe he didn’t want to cause a scene. You shouldn’t have said those things unless he asked you to. Do you always fight his battles for him? It’s fine to tag along as a translator, but you should have just kept your opinion to yourself. If you were going to say anything at all, you should have been respectful and professional about it. I think you’re a bit of a control freak, and I’m guessing he’s a bit of a doormat. You told him to quit, you tagged along and inserted yourself into his meeting with his boss, you took it upon yourself to disrespect his boss without his consent, and you don’t think you overstepped your bounds? You said HIS explanation to HIS boss of why he was quitting HIS job wasn’t good enough, and YOU had to give him the RIGHT explanation. You don’t own him. He can quit his job however the hell he wants to. You can make suggestions privately, but you totally emasculated and embarrassed him when you behaved that way in front of his boss. You keep using the excuse that he needs help with the language, but he knows exactly what’s going on. He understood what you said to his boss, and you weren’t there to translate. You were there to be in charge of him. Translators don’t speak for themselves, they speak for their “clients.” 

your boyfriend was trying to tell you "who died and left you a penis"

It was unnecessary and your bf said it himself. But it was nice of you for trying to help him.

• ?

You should have interpreted for him.......but calmly and objectively