When was the last time you were a great mechanic?

Favorite Answer

A great professional mechanic that was about 1988.

This morning I outsmarted a crooked plumber.  Does that count?

since I mad me own nuclear self sustaining reaction

I was quoted $400 to replace my car door handles, so I bought a couple for less than $20 and did it myself.  Took me a couple of days, but it worked.

Few days ago I found my self mechanic

• ?

Most days keeping my 37-year-old motorcycle in working order.

Back in the 90s I was one of the best mechanics.  By listening to the engine, I could tell exactly what was wrong with any vehicle.  A salesman came into our shop and talked with our manager about a new machine.  The invention could disassemble and reassemble any car engine in less than 30 minutes.  The boss told the salesman he already he already had the best mechanic, but we would have a competition.  I would compete against the machine, and if the machine won, I would have to leave the company, and if I won, my boss wouldn't buy the machine.  The boss pulled down two identical engines.  I got all of my tools ready to start, I analyzed every part of the engine.  The machine had four robotic arms ready to make quick work of the engine.  The boss gave the command to start.  I made quick work of the engine, parts were flying off like confetti and landing in perfect formation.  The machine was also ripping apart the engine at incredible speed.  I would get a little ahead of the machine, and then the machine would catch up and get a little ahead of me.  We completed the disassembly and then immediately started reassembling the engine..  I was working as fast as I possibly could go, every part fitting into place perfectly, but I could tell I was behind.  The four armed robot machine was just a little faster.  My fingers blead as I was trying to catch up.  We were both almost complete with the engine.  I knew what I needed to do.  I tossed a wrench on "accident" at the well organized pile of engine parts used by the machine, but the robot machine managed to catch the wrench with one of its arms just in time before it caused parts to fly everywhere.  The distraction gave me just enough time to screw in the last part and I won the competition.  Everyone cheered and the salesman walked away disappointed.  As I got up I passed out from loss of blood, the competition did too much damage to my hands.  I woke up later in the hospital.  They had to amputate both of my hands.  Now I teach auto mechanics at my local community college.

Today Morning.

As a certified Toyota technician with many awards I will have to say for over 30 years.

Probably when I read Greek mythology, since you ask in that section

For me this is an easy question as in the years 1969-70 I was the Division Officer for the Aviation Maintenance Department of a Unit in Vietnam.  My team was responsible for the mechanical and electrical maintenance of four Navy aircraft.

In 1970 thru 1973 I drove a used Buick, which I did all the maintenance for.  That included, but not limited to, changing the oil, removing and replacing the alternator, removing and replacing the distributor, tinkering with the fuel/air mixture, and changing various drive belts.  THEN everything went computer...that ended that.