When a programmer is typing on a black screen, what program are they using?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

They are using DOS, UNIX or LINUX

• 2 months ago

usually a command prompt but sometimes it is not a command prompt for that computer but for a remote computer typically a linux system and it's called SSH.

• 2 months ago

Generally a command prompt, terminal program / emulator or just a plain text editor.

It could be on the local machine, or many programmers also work on remote machines using SSH terminal programs such as "Putty".

• 2 months ago

They are usually typing in a "Terminal" sometimes called a Shell, DOS Prompt or Command Prompt.

The program varies by operating system.  The default terminal program in Windows is "Command Prompt".  cmd.exe is the name of the executable filename.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

If you're on Windows, hold the Windows key and press R. That will open up a dialogue that lets you run any program. Type "cmd" and hit enter. That will open up the command prompt (or console, or cmd) which by default is white text on a black background. There are various integrated development learning environments (IDLE for short) that programmers use to write code.

In the movies, people typing on those kind of screens is just to message the viewer "hey, this guy is a hacker! Or at least some sort of coder". If you took what he was writing and punched it into a computer, I doubt it would actually do anything, they just designed it to look cool.

I'm personally a fan of the downward-scrolling green-on-black Matrix programming, even though there's no basis in reality for it. It just looks awesome :D

Below is a screenshot I just took of the Run window and the terminal it opened up. Sorry for all the blank space, the formatting got screwy :/

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

A text editor most likely.

• EddieJ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

When a customer is eating a burger, what restaurant are they at?

• 2 months ago

The programmer is probably using an IDE, or Integrated Development Environment. That's the program they use to write programs.They probably have it set to a "dark" or "night mode".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.