when watching the old black&white tv series robin hood on my desktop computer, why are the characters fuzzy at times when they move around?

i have a windows 7 desktop computer, i have a blu ray drive and a dvd drive, at the moment im using the blu ray drive to watch dvds as the dvd drive is not working and will not open.....i am watching the old tv series ' the adventures of robin hood' from the 1950s, so long ago......i have no complaints when watching it, only that when the characters in the series move around on the screen, they get a fuzzy outline to them?

the viewing picture is clear and good, but when the characters in the series move around in the action scenes, the outline of them is fuzzy a strange fuzziness, its hard to explain really..

what could it be and whats the reason for it?

Update:

thankyou to all the helpful answers, i understood.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The original series was not recorded in anywhere near the quality that we have today.  If you start with an original that is already fuzzy and low quality, there is no way to get a high quality version of it.  They did not have digital quality records back when that series was made.

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If it was converted to digital format from a video tape master, the problem lies in the old NTSC video format where images were interlaced for televisions at 29.97 frames per second. To reduce the bandwidth needed to transmit television images, each frame was divided into two with one displaying the odd numbered scan lines and the other displaying even numbered scan lines. These were painted on the CRT screen one after another. Due to the phosphor persistence of old CRT television screens, the two frames both appeared at the same time as the odd scan lines would still be glowing as the even frame was painted. Most computer displays today use progressive scanning at 60 frames per second where there is only a single frame for each image. When an interlaced video is rendered for a modern display, the two frames are combined into a single frame and there can be times when the two frames do not perfectly line up and may show the interlacing. This is where the blurring comes from. 

• Joe
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Agreeing with David: The quality of any recorded TV programs from that era isn't that good.  (Movies, originally distributed on film, are much better.)

It's not yet possible to get 21st Century video quality from a mid-20th Century recording.

(In the future, it may be possible to use A.I. techniques to improve the conversion, frame by frame.  Even then, someone would have to want to make the effort to re-digitize the old analog recordings.)

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Most likely the method of the original recording or the conversion to a DVD format is to blame.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.