Should I give out the address?

I am a new realtor and just started working in the rental area. When people ask me for the address of a home I’m advertising I get nervous and don’t want to tell them until I can qualify them a bit. Am I being unethical?

I do it because I don’t want to be kicked to the side and not compensated for finding and marketing the home.

Yes, you are right and No, you should not give them the address.  Tell them that they need to be pre-qualified to view the house, and ask for the information you need to pre-qualify them.

It's normal that you don't want to! You should first try describing the house, and IF they seem interested, tell them the address. After all, the buyer has to know where it is to buy it! :)

This is a question to ask the more experienced realtors where you work.

You could certainly say, "It's a two-bedroom unit in the 3000 block of Lindhurst" or "It's a duplex in the High Point neighborhood."

If they haven't seen it yet send them photos from MLS and tell them if they're still interested you need to make sure they qualify before a showing.  I've seen listings when the agent is instructed by the landlord to only show it to a qualified renter.

hEY, I know, never answer the phone. You are making big bucks with robinhood anyway.

If you were not willing to give me the address of the home for rent, I would not be telling you anything about myself such as my address, income, SSN, etc.

Isn't it your job to find a tenant?   Pretty hard to do that if you're unwilling to show the property.