Why does my computer keyboard not work?

Sometimes when I start my computer my keyboard doesn't work at all so I have to restart to make it work again. Does anyone have a clue what this depends on?

I had this same problem but with my laptop, when I went into system devices it said that the "registry key was corrupted" so, I reset my laptop and it worked 

firmly re-seat the keyboard connecter

• ?

There are a few things you should try out. The first one is to update your keyboard driver. Open Device manager on your Windows laptop, find the Keyboards option, expand the list, and right-click Standard PS/2 Keyboard, followed by Update driver. ... If it's not, the next step is to delete and reinstall the driver

With no hint of what "computer" (box or laptop or all-in-one), no one here has any clue about it.  Might be a software issue (Windows or MacOS or Linux or Chrome) or it might be hardware (broken component, wiring, battery of wireless).  See a repair shop or some friend who knows computers.

When I updated a laptop from Win7 to Win10, its keyboard went a little crazy.  Lots of others found on Internet see same problem, no known cure.  But if I plug in a USB keyboard, that works fine. So you never know.

Sportel:   You may have a short somewhere in your wiring.   Either replace the wiring running from the computer to the keyboard -OR-  get a new keyboard.  

Source(s): life
  • Sandy

check the connection if it's a USB port. if your keyboard is wi-fi, uninstall it and reboot. if that doesn't work, buy a new keyboard.